You are here


Citizenship Ceremonies - Naturalization Information

The United States District Court for the Southern District of West Virginia is honored to take part in the naturalization process.


Naturalization is the process by which United States citizenship is conferred upon a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills the requirements established by Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). The bureau of U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) processes all naturalization applications.  Once the application has been processed, a list of the candidates selected to be naturalized is provided to the court.
The court is not involved in any other immigration processes.  U. S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) should be contacted directly for procedures on becoming naturalized. Visit the USCIS website at or call 1-800-375-5283 for answers to common questions, copies of forms, and general information about USCIS. Applicants seeking citizenship will receive the ceremony date and time from USCIS. You may also contact the local Immigration and Naturalization Services at:

U. S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS)
Application Support Center – Charleston, WV
4501 MacCorkle Avenue SE, Suite B
Charleston, WV 25304


Naturalization ceremonies are generally held twice a year in the Robert C. Byrd United States Courthouse in Charleston, West Virginia, and are presided over by a United States District Judge. Family members are encouraged to attend, and the ceremonies may be photographed or broadcast from the courtroom. U. S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) located in Charleston may give applicants the option of traveling to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where ceremonies are held monthly. 
You must arrive at the location of your ceremony at the date and time listed in the notification letter sent to you by the USCIS.  Upon entering the courthouse, everyone is required to pass through a security screening.  Please allow extra time for the screening process.
Everyone is expected comply with court rules.  Please remain quiet during the proceedings and stand when the judge enters or leaves the courtroom.
This is an important day for all the petitioners and their families.  We invite you to come and take part in this uniquely American experience.

Naturalization Frequently Asked Questions

How Do I Replace My Certificate of Naturalization?

There are no copies of your Certificate of Naturalization. If your certificate has been lost or stolen, you must apply for a new document. This is done by filling out an N-565, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document. This form can be found on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website. USCIS does not accept the N-565 in their office unless it is an extreme emergency. Normally, you must mail the form, along with a letter explaining your request and requesting for a confirmation receipt. USCIS recommends sending mail to them through a third-party delivery service (FedEx or UPS) or by registered U.S. Mail. For additional information, contact the USCIS at (800) 375-5283.

How Do I Visit a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Office?

In order to visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office, you must have an appointment scheduled by USCIS or through INFOPASS found on the USCIS website. To find the USCIS office closest to you, please call (800) 375-5283 or visit the USCIS website.

How Do I Replace a Petition for Name Change?

The Court maintains copies of Petitions for Name Change. Copies may be obtained in the Clerk’s Office from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. In making your request, you must provide the date you were naturalized in order for us to find your Petition. (This information is on your Certificate of Naturalization.)

When Will My Naturalization Ceremony Take Place?

Approximately two weeks prior to the ceremony, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service will send you a written notice with the ceremony location, date and time to report. Naturalization ceremonies are held twice a year at the Robert C. Byrd United States District Courthouse in Charleston, West Virginia. You are welcome to bring guests with you and, on this occasion, cameras are allowed in the courtroom. If you need to re-schedule a ceremony, please contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services at (800)-375-5283.

How Do I Obtain a Passport?

The Court does not issue passports. Passports are issued by the U.S. Department of State, and passport applications are available at a U.S. Post Office, a Regional Passport Agency, a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, or online.